Ayrwaves 2008!
Friday
I was supposed to do sailing but when I woke up at 6.30 I remembered I couldn't as I got my ----- on Thursday. So after debating with myself I finally went to the "Argyll Guiders" tent, and after standing there trying to sum my courage, I finally heard myself say,"Sam?" And again as there wasn't an answer(I was trembling by now). And finally I heard,"Who is this?" "Umm this is Rebecca." And Mary's head popped out of the tent door, saying,"What's the matter?" "I can't do my activity." "Come inside." So I stuck my head in and knelt down, because I found Sam lying on her foldable bed, her head out of her pod, and she asked the same question so I answered. And then,"Why can't you do your activity?" "... Because I'm having my -------..." "Okay tell you what I'll go to the office and see if they can change you to one with a free space. If there isn't the most they will ask you to do is to stay on the boat. Is that fine?" I nodded, and took my leave, saying,"Thank you" to Sam and Mary who was wearing her boots. Then I zipped up(or down) the tent door and could finally breathe a sigh of relief.
In the end Sam managed to get me put into Conservation, which was great! Linda asked what was wrong when she overheard and Sam told her so Linda asked if I was fine and I said yes. Linda's so very kind. All the Guiders were up by now but I was the only camper and it was time for breakfast so I accompanied Margaret to the canteen. Haha Linda was telling me,"Go and have breakfast with Margaret. She's scared of going alone." And Margaret said jokingly,"Yes, why don't we go together?" And as we left sub-camp Linda shouted,"Take care of Margaret!" followed by chuckles from the other Guiders. Haha. Anyway breakfast was scrambled eggs with potato. Margaret had also taken the potato scone(it's flat like a slice of pancake) and she gave me a bit to try. And it was really tantalising! So she went up, and got me a slice(I felt so embarrassed). And after eating we cleared our plates and headed back to camp. By now some clanners had headed to the canteen already.
So later outside the main Marquee, me, Angeline, Cheryl, Nurul and a I-Guider assembled, and we met Brian from the Conservation with Harry, his assistant for the day. Then the Guider swapped with the lady from Minnesota(U.S.) so they got to do their own interest(how coincidental). We had a 30mins walk to the Conservation, then collect the seeds to the native bluebells, then back again. Apparently the Spanish bluebells were mix breeding with the Scottish ones, so our job was to save them by collecting seeds. So we headed off.
Unfortunately, we had too much fun learning about the plants along the way with Sheila, like the nettle(the stings are on the upper side), daisy(day's-eye), willow hair, cherry tree, chestnut tree, silver birch(the bark's silver), bramble(ripe in August), cranberry(pick the ones higher up).... By the time we got out of the park it was 11.30 so we headed back. Then Brian and Harry took us to see the ruins of the park's castle(the English used it for target practice) and after that Harry told us the history of the Pencil of Largs. Outside the office, I left first to collect my Amati. Then we had lunch at camp.
After lunch was Highland Games. 9 games, 9 Clans, 2 teams within each Clan, 3 players in a team for a game each, making a total of 54 playing spots. Of course, some didn't play and some played twice. The Games: Throw the Caber(the long floating thing), Throw the Wellies, Throw the Haggis(rugby in stocking), Throwing the Weight(1.5 bottle filled 3/4 with water), Putting the Shot(hockey ball), Relay Running(in a triangle), Treacle Scones game(scones covered with black treacle hanging on a line), Mars Bar game(use fork and knife to cut, other 2 roll dice. Hits 6 then change over hat and gloves, continue), String and Spoon(make the spoon go down your top and bottom, up the second person's and then down the third, then pull the string out totally). Lorna threw the weight 11m! I only got +5m.
Clan Campbell Chant
Leaders(Ruth, Lauren Clark/Kelly):Our name is...!
Us: What?!
L: Our name is...!
Us: What?!
L: Our name is...!...
Together: CLAN CAMPBELL!
And guess what, we were the loudest Clan! Haha the Guiders(especially Linda) were saying,"Nope, ours' is the best," "Nae their's isn't that good, is it? Our's is better than their's," "Can't beat ours'!" Hahahaha.
Closing ceremony wasn't much. There was a lone piper who is quite hyper. Then each Clan had to sing a verse with lyrics that they came up with to the tune "Frere Jacques" a.k.a. "Are You Sleeping". Then we had sang the "Millenum Song".
Clan Campbell's Version
Campbell Clan's Guides at Camp
Thanks to Ayrwaves we've had fun
Laughter, games and chocolate
Toilet rolls a plenty
Frogs in tents, made new friends
Ours' was the only one which did not repeat the words(eg. Royal Steward, Royal Steward...), including the Cooks' and the Bankers'! Haha some Guides were going,"Ours' is the best. Their's have repeated words," "Still the best."
But after that was the Ceilidh! At first I didn't join in as I didn't have a partner, then I saw someone else who didn't so we did the Canadian Barn Dance together. When it ended she left with her friend so I went over to where Linda was. Then when Mary and Dawn came back, they pulled me in along with Sam! That's when I ended up dancing with the Guiders. We did the Dashing White Sergeant(with Sam and Dawn as mi lassies), the Flying Scotsman(with Mary as mi man)(sorry 'bout them, Mary), Stripping the Willow(with Dawn then Sam), and the Gay Gordon(with Mary as mi man). I also did this clapping thing with Guiders and Guides from other sub-camps. Haha Mary commented that I was a good dancer. And I can tell you that Mary and Dawn and great dancers too, compatible. Then after everything the song "Flower of Scotland" was played and Linda told me it's the unofficial National Anthem. Then there was a disco, and Dawn and Sam started spinning poor Linda around, and she was clutching onto the arms of her wheelchair, but she was laughing and all at the end. Then Lorna came and there was a traditional sond named "Lochlomond", then again in rock. All the Guiders were jumping and dancing and all the clanners who were left danced along, though you could see their surprise at the Guiders joining in! Haha Linda said to me and Lorna,"If I wasn't wheelchair-bound, I would be dancing with them!" And she said it without a trace of sadness, just a twinge of regret. And we laughed. And all of a sudden Linda was surrounded by the clanners, jumping around her. Then during another song Jessica tried to pull me in saying,"Come on we'll never see each other again!" which made me hug her and I had to go outside to cry my heart to the big black sky. Ms Norizan came over and after she left I went back into the Marquee. After another "Big fish", we all headed back to camp and had profetti rolls and hot chocolate for supper, curtesy of our dear QMs. I vividly remember Linda proclaiming,"I think I'm getting Samtitis," and started laughing. Then after taking a look at Shannon's camp photo, we all went to sleep. Last night of camp.
I was supposed to do sailing but when I woke up at 6.30 I remembered I couldn't as I got my ----- on Thursday. So after debating with myself I finally went to the "Argyll Guiders" tent, and after standing there trying to sum my courage, I finally heard myself say,"Sam?" And again as there wasn't an answer(I was trembling by now). And finally I heard,"Who is this?" "Umm this is Rebecca." And Mary's head popped out of the tent door, saying,"What's the matter?" "I can't do my activity." "Come inside." So I stuck my head in and knelt down, because I found Sam lying on her foldable bed, her head out of her pod, and she asked the same question so I answered. And then,"Why can't you do your activity?" "... Because I'm having my -------..." "Okay tell you what I'll go to the office and see if they can change you to one with a free space. If there isn't the most they will ask you to do is to stay on the boat. Is that fine?" I nodded, and took my leave, saying,"Thank you" to Sam and Mary who was wearing her boots. Then I zipped up(or down) the tent door and could finally breathe a sigh of relief.
In the end Sam managed to get me put into Conservation, which was great! Linda asked what was wrong when she overheard and Sam told her so Linda asked if I was fine and I said yes. Linda's so very kind. All the Guiders were up by now but I was the only camper and it was time for breakfast so I accompanied Margaret to the canteen. Haha Linda was telling me,"Go and have breakfast with Margaret. She's scared of going alone." And Margaret said jokingly,"Yes, why don't we go together?" And as we left sub-camp Linda shouted,"Take care of Margaret!" followed by chuckles from the other Guiders. Haha. Anyway breakfast was scrambled eggs with potato. Margaret had also taken the potato scone(it's flat like a slice of pancake) and she gave me a bit to try. And it was really tantalising! So she went up, and got me a slice(I felt so embarrassed). And after eating we cleared our plates and headed back to camp. By now some clanners had headed to the canteen already.
So later outside the main Marquee, me, Angeline, Cheryl, Nurul and a I-Guider assembled, and we met Brian from the Conservation with Harry, his assistant for the day. Then the Guider swapped with the lady from Minnesota(U.S.) so they got to do their own interest(how coincidental). We had a 30mins walk to the Conservation, then collect the seeds to the native bluebells, then back again. Apparently the Spanish bluebells were mix breeding with the Scottish ones, so our job was to save them by collecting seeds. So we headed off.
Unfortunately, we had too much fun learning about the plants along the way with Sheila, like the nettle(the stings are on the upper side), daisy(day's-eye), willow hair, cherry tree, chestnut tree, silver birch(the bark's silver), bramble(ripe in August), cranberry(pick the ones higher up).... By the time we got out of the park it was 11.30 so we headed back. Then Brian and Harry took us to see the ruins of the park's castle(the English used it for target practice) and after that Harry told us the history of the Pencil of Largs. Outside the office, I left first to collect my Amati. Then we had lunch at camp.
After lunch was Highland Games. 9 games, 9 Clans, 2 teams within each Clan, 3 players in a team for a game each, making a total of 54 playing spots. Of course, some didn't play and some played twice. The Games: Throw the Caber(the long floating thing), Throw the Wellies, Throw the Haggis(rugby in stocking), Throwing the Weight(1.5 bottle filled 3/4 with water), Putting the Shot(hockey ball), Relay Running(in a triangle), Treacle Scones game(scones covered with black treacle hanging on a line), Mars Bar game(use fork and knife to cut, other 2 roll dice. Hits 6 then change over hat and gloves, continue), String and Spoon(make the spoon go down your top and bottom, up the second person's and then down the third, then pull the string out totally). Lorna threw the weight 11m! I only got +5m.
Clan Campbell Chant
Leaders(Ruth, Lauren Clark/Kelly):Our name is...!
Us: What?!
L: Our name is...!
Us: What?!
L: Our name is...!...
Together: CLAN CAMPBELL!
And guess what, we were the loudest Clan! Haha the Guiders(especially Linda) were saying,"Nope, ours' is the best," "Nae their's isn't that good, is it? Our's is better than their's," "Can't beat ours'!" Hahahaha.
Closing ceremony wasn't much. There was a lone piper who is quite hyper. Then each Clan had to sing a verse with lyrics that they came up with to the tune "Frere Jacques" a.k.a. "Are You Sleeping". Then we had sang the "Millenum Song".
Clan Campbell's Version
Campbell Clan's Guides at Camp
Thanks to Ayrwaves we've had fun
Laughter, games and chocolate
Toilet rolls a plenty
Frogs in tents, made new friends
Ours' was the only one which did not repeat the words(eg. Royal Steward, Royal Steward...), including the Cooks' and the Bankers'! Haha some Guides were going,"Ours' is the best. Their's have repeated words," "Still the best."
But after that was the Ceilidh! At first I didn't join in as I didn't have a partner, then I saw someone else who didn't so we did the Canadian Barn Dance together. When it ended she left with her friend so I went over to where Linda was. Then when Mary and Dawn came back, they pulled me in along with Sam! That's when I ended up dancing with the Guiders. We did the Dashing White Sergeant(with Sam and Dawn as mi lassies), the Flying Scotsman(with Mary as mi man)(sorry 'bout them, Mary), Stripping the Willow(with Dawn then Sam), and the Gay Gordon(with Mary as mi man). I also did this clapping thing with Guiders and Guides from other sub-camps. Haha Mary commented that I was a good dancer. And I can tell you that Mary and Dawn and great dancers too, compatible. Then after everything the song "Flower of Scotland" was played and Linda told me it's the unofficial National Anthem. Then there was a disco, and Dawn and Sam started spinning poor Linda around, and she was clutching onto the arms of her wheelchair, but she was laughing and all at the end. Then Lorna came and there was a traditional sond named "Lochlomond", then again in rock. All the Guiders were jumping and dancing and all the clanners who were left danced along, though you could see their surprise at the Guiders joining in! Haha Linda said to me and Lorna,"If I wasn't wheelchair-bound, I would be dancing with them!" And she said it without a trace of sadness, just a twinge of regret. And we laughed. And all of a sudden Linda was surrounded by the clanners, jumping around her. Then during another song Jessica tried to pull me in saying,"Come on we'll never see each other again!" which made me hug her and I had to go outside to cry my heart to the big black sky. Ms Norizan came over and after she left I went back into the Marquee. After another "Big fish", we all headed back to camp and had profetti rolls and hot chocolate for supper, curtesy of our dear QMs. I vividly remember Linda proclaiming,"I think I'm getting Samtitis," and started laughing. Then after taking a look at Shannon's camp photo, we all went to sleep. Last night of camp.
Comments