Ayrwaves 2008!

Saturday
Woke up early again. I helped Dawn lay out our last breakfast and lunch. Breakfast this time was in the marquee, finishing up the last of our stores. Then Courtney came in, and we started breakfast with a nice box of cereal. Our last meal! :( Then Shannon(from Canada) came in, and people started coming in. Sam started spreading slices of bread for whoever that ordered in "Sam-style". Haha most orders were chocolate spread, which isn't the least surprising. Anne asked me to go to Shannon(from Ireland)'s tent and shout,"Chocolate spread!" and apparently she would zoom straight out of her tent! Of course, she didn't as she was packing her bag. Haha.
After colours, we took our bags to the marquee, and started striking our tents. The Canadian Guides had just left at this time, followed by the Irish Guides a while later. I managed to write a quick note and give Sophie the pouch. Haha I remember Linda and Ann were trying to stuff Sopie's things in, and Linda had said,"Ooh a present. How pretty." We had to take out our pods first, clean them and fold them up. I didn't, as I was helping the Guiders. Then when I went back, we took out the pegs and poles, folded the tent up(wrongly, though it still fitted in) and stuffed everything into the tent bag. After helping to strike the First Aid tent(canvas) which the Guides weren't familiar with, I went to help Mary, leaving the other Singaporean Guides to do it. After all, I did manage to strike a canvas tent with four people. Then I went over to help Lauren(who came back to help with her boyfriend) with the packing of the other tents, and together with Lauren(Deer patrol) and Shona we folded it and I rolled it up. We had to fold in each side, then fold in half length-wise twice or thrice, then breadth-wise in about thirds, then roll it up length-wise. Then we helped with the Argyll Guiders' tent which was half done, and the Red Squirrel's tent. Around this time, dear Margaret had to leave. After that, I helped carry stuff from the marquee to Brian who was in the back of the lorry. Douglas(Linda's husband) was also here and he helped around too. I still remember the sight of the main marquee's roof coming down, and I really felt like crying then. But there was more work to be done.
At around twelve, Margaret Kennedy came, with Mrs Crawford. Margaret would be sending those staying with Mrs Corr. It was time to go. We collected our bags, and I started sniffing, hugging everyone, especially Jess, Gemma and Trudie. I couldn't help looking back, and I started crying as we left the campsite, and I just couldn't stop for maybe five to ten minutes! I recall Mrs Crawford patting me on the back, saying,"It's alright, it's normal," "You're missing all the countryside!" and "There used to be many scarecrow around here, not many left now," and "Oh there's one! No, that's a real man. Oh there's another! Oops that's a man too!" Haha. But in the end we got to see a real scarecrow on the roof of a hotel.

And so, Ayrwaves ended for us, what a magical camp it was too, meeting sister Guides whom you knew existed but never knowing their identities until now, trying new stuff, seeing new sights, learning new skills, going through new experiences, making a difference in this world together with other Guides, and now, relishing new memories, which have become part of my life, part of me.

Comments