Chiang Rai, March '09

Day 3
Woke up at 0550. Washed up and changed clothes. Had an excellent breakfast at 0730 as usual. Had porridge with kangkong, but skipped the radish.
Played Wacko with some of the kids. At 0900, we collected our gloves and went out to the big field in front of the void deck. We used chungkols to get rid of the weeds, while some carried rakes to clear behind the rest of us. Most of the guys were there too, as well as Sister Bernard. There was this guy who was working twice as efficiently than any of us, even though I was using his technique. Ms Lee was almost as good as him. After more than an hour, the smaller ones like Umpon and Muui joined in. We stopped at 1100. Did I put in my best? I guess not, though I tried.
Had lunch after a rest. Then we played more games. After that, we guided the children on the English worksheets that the teachers brought. I got the beginner ones for Umpon. Of course, she did them obediently, but the moment they were done, she started running around as she wanted to play. Umpon mai dek-dii. Umpon not a good girl. Ms Law asked me why I didn't chase her, and I said that they weren't allowed to, so me running was equivalent to saying it was okay to. So I guess I got some demerit points on Umpon's scale.
We discussed for the finale night while the kids were out playing. Then I went to bathe finally. Someone accidentally ripped off the shower tap of the first cubicle on Day 1 so we all had to use the scoop and pail since the valve to the shower head was cut off.
Dinner was at 1800 so I sat one off the tables at the void deck to wait. Ms Law and Ms Lee were talking to Sister at the stage. Ms Law asked me why I was sitting there alone and I said that there was nothing to do, then I walked over to listen to their conversation. Sister Bernard told us that Umpon only came in May last year, so she was quite new. Apparently when they were supposed to help peel the onions, Umpon went to pick the leaves and gather them up. Sister saw how neat Umpon was, and thus her daily duty became sweeping Sister's house. And how Umpon is the naughtiest child at the Home. Just my luck I guess, but good for the others since my 3 year old sister is very naughty too. And 3 people have commented on how Umpon looks like me.
Had dinner. Then we played games organised by Group 2, like gantries, london bridge. Gosh, the kids are good at gantries. I couldn't get pass them at all, but got pass our own girls. Germaine taught the kids "Jesus loves me" in English, then taught all of us sign language to go with it.
Briefing. Mrs Gurung told us about her severe migraine. Then we did our own reflection. I myself sat at the steps at the left of the stage. Felt troubled so I prayed. In the dorm, we wrote notes to Sister in a booklet. Slept.

Comments