Guides Camp '09
The usual, fun and memorable stuff.
Day 1
Fall in and took temperature. Fall in in our camp patrols. Started tent pitching. I helped out with the sec 3 ridge tent. There were 2 ridge tents, and mine was out of the horseshoe and not facing the flagpole, so we had to fall it and redo. When the ridge tent was almost done, I went over to Percival Patrol to help. Blegh. Sagging tent, an obviously wrong pacing and pegs malleted in too near the tent. Nevermind, so I tried to do my best. Then me and Yifen did the shoerack. Quite fast, good for Yifen that she knew her knots, being in Gateway. Finally completed everything after 2 time extensions. Yay Jinny was fast, going around to tie the flysheet down. Esther didn't look so good. Aline, Priscilla and Monique never gave up. Had lunch on the Specs Stand. A lot more than last year.
Did Backdrop. Moved the banner down with the sec1s+Janine+Cherida, while the rest moved the tripods. Trialled the tripods again to form the required 'V' shape at the top. Took a long time figuring out how to tie the banner to the tripods. Me, Tabitha, Janine and Jingyi did one side, helping each other pull the knot tight. Beatrice managed to get lots of sec4s to help, since now we needed to raise both sides at the same time. Managed it, after lots of screams from the sec4s. -chuckles- Was tough, separating the legs of the tripod on my side, as one of the legs were flying and another was clearly splitting. Then we got more help to tie the support poles which kept the tripod in shape, and to hold the backdrop down as it was flying 90 degrees up. Come to think of it, it was a nice sight, seeing our own backdrop fly. Tied 2 knots, then helped Maryanne tighten hers. At the same time, some of us tied the backdrop down with bricks. Then we did pegging, and I helped hold the tripod steady. Then Rachel Sim, Zioedy and I tightened the loose guylines on our side. Haha Rachel's "Self-victory! Yeah!". Super cute. Packed up but we had to fall in immediately. Changed into Guide Full Uniform (yay =D) and had dinner. No appetite, so I could only finish 5/8 of a box. Sorry! Then I went back to see our backdrop. Thank goodness, because one side had ripped, again! The hole to tie the backdrop to the pole had rippd all the way to the seam, so I called Rachel who was there, who called Beatrice who ran back midway through her dinner. They decided to sew it up, so Carol and Rachel went to get the sewing kit and Rachel disappeared midway. So I just continued standing there, holding the banner in case of strong winds, which there were. Anyway, Sarah Ong started sewing and Rachel appeared and took over. Now and then I helped pull the needle out. When Rachel drew blood, I took over since it was already steady. Then I was instructed to stop and I did. But Melissa and Stephanie came and saw so they helped by sewing some more, used masking tape to prevent further ripping and used the two holes to tie clove hitch, gave some slack and tied it to the tripods' supporting poles. Thanks seniors! Thanks sec4s!
Meanwhile, GOH arrived. Guest(s)-of Honour. Aka even more senior seniors, Red badge's Hilda and Adeline. And there was Grey badge people like Tongtong, and the Light Blue badge. Some Yellow badge seniors came too, like Renee who found out she has a junior named Carnation, Danette, and of course... -drum roll please- Swallow's beloved Trina! and Siyun too! Trina got her patrol tee, and Janice got Trina to pose and got a pic, but Trina wanted it deleted so she did a javelin-throwing-like pose and tried to get Janice to delete the first pic but knowing Janice she still didn't so Trina got serious and got all scary and Janice got her phone snatched away and the pic deleted. -deep breath-
So anyway, campfire was great. New games by the MCs, performances by Raffles 02 and another school, fantastice dancing by our own Dark Blue badge, it was like sec1 all over again. And the star of the show, the roaring flames roaming high, set alight after a touching speech by Hilda. After another speech by the two GOH, it was "WHOOSH" time, sadly.
And we unpegged, untied and fell the backdrop. And untied some more. Had debrief and evaluation, Hilda and Junyin talked to us, on how it was more of an affirmation session than the traditional scolding, how we need more attitude to bring hope to bring that unique passion and love for Guiding. And my heart broke. Because it was all true. Then we had a scolding by Ms Lee. Frankly, it was nice being scolded for a change. And sec4s had to apologise to all of us for not eating their dinner. Then we had supper. And the few of us and sec4s finally got to bathe. Slept.
Day 1
Fall in and took temperature. Fall in in our camp patrols. Started tent pitching. I helped out with the sec 3 ridge tent. There were 2 ridge tents, and mine was out of the horseshoe and not facing the flagpole, so we had to fall it and redo. When the ridge tent was almost done, I went over to Percival Patrol to help. Blegh. Sagging tent, an obviously wrong pacing and pegs malleted in too near the tent. Nevermind, so I tried to do my best. Then me and Yifen did the shoerack. Quite fast, good for Yifen that she knew her knots, being in Gateway. Finally completed everything after 2 time extensions. Yay Jinny was fast, going around to tie the flysheet down. Esther didn't look so good. Aline, Priscilla and Monique never gave up. Had lunch on the Specs Stand. A lot more than last year.
Did Backdrop. Moved the banner down with the sec1s+Janine+Cherida, while the rest moved the tripods. Trialled the tripods again to form the required 'V' shape at the top. Took a long time figuring out how to tie the banner to the tripods. Me, Tabitha, Janine and Jingyi did one side, helping each other pull the knot tight. Beatrice managed to get lots of sec4s to help, since now we needed to raise both sides at the same time. Managed it, after lots of screams from the sec4s. -chuckles- Was tough, separating the legs of the tripod on my side, as one of the legs were flying and another was clearly splitting. Then we got more help to tie the support poles which kept the tripod in shape, and to hold the backdrop down as it was flying 90 degrees up. Come to think of it, it was a nice sight, seeing our own backdrop fly. Tied 2 knots, then helped Maryanne tighten hers. At the same time, some of us tied the backdrop down with bricks. Then we did pegging, and I helped hold the tripod steady. Then Rachel Sim, Zioedy and I tightened the loose guylines on our side. Haha Rachel's "Self-victory! Yeah!". Super cute. Packed up but we had to fall in immediately. Changed into Guide Full Uniform (yay =D) and had dinner. No appetite, so I could only finish 5/8 of a box. Sorry! Then I went back to see our backdrop. Thank goodness, because one side had ripped, again! The hole to tie the backdrop to the pole had rippd all the way to the seam, so I called Rachel who was there, who called Beatrice who ran back midway through her dinner. They decided to sew it up, so Carol and Rachel went to get the sewing kit and Rachel disappeared midway. So I just continued standing there, holding the banner in case of strong winds, which there were. Anyway, Sarah Ong started sewing and Rachel appeared and took over. Now and then I helped pull the needle out. When Rachel drew blood, I took over since it was already steady. Then I was instructed to stop and I did. But Melissa and Stephanie came and saw so they helped by sewing some more, used masking tape to prevent further ripping and used the two holes to tie clove hitch, gave some slack and tied it to the tripods' supporting poles. Thanks seniors! Thanks sec4s!
Meanwhile, GOH arrived. Guest(s)-of Honour. Aka even more senior seniors, Red badge's Hilda and Adeline. And there was Grey badge people like Tongtong, and the Light Blue badge. Some Yellow badge seniors came too, like Renee who found out she has a junior named Carnation, Danette, and of course... -drum roll please- Swallow's beloved Trina! and Siyun too! Trina got her patrol tee, and Janice got Trina to pose and got a pic, but Trina wanted it deleted so she did a javelin-throwing-like pose and tried to get Janice to delete the first pic but knowing Janice she still didn't so Trina got serious and got all scary and Janice got her phone snatched away and the pic deleted. -deep breath-
So anyway, campfire was great. New games by the MCs, performances by Raffles 02 and another school, fantastice dancing by our own Dark Blue badge, it was like sec1 all over again. And the star of the show, the roaring flames roaming high, set alight after a touching speech by Hilda. After another speech by the two GOH, it was "WHOOSH" time, sadly.
And we unpegged, untied and fell the backdrop. And untied some more. Had debrief and evaluation, Hilda and Junyin talked to us, on how it was more of an affirmation session than the traditional scolding, how we need more attitude to bring hope to bring that unique passion and love for Guiding. And my heart broke. Because it was all true. Then we had a scolding by Ms Lee. Frankly, it was nice being scolded for a change. And sec4s had to apologise to all of us for not eating their dinner. Then we had supper. And the few of us and sec4s finally got to bathe. Slept.
Comments