Gloria Jeans Coffees~
It's been l week and one day since I've started work at Gloria Jeans! ^^ It's been.... I don't know. It's been a ride. It's been a blessing and it's something I've never ever expected myself to do. Make coffee. And eventually become a certified barista if I can last. Unimaginable. If there's such a word. Unimaginable, yes that's the word to describe this experience. Closest word I can think of now.
Working at the Katong outlet has really been fun and enjoyable. :) Faz is my manager, Ceny is second-in-command (aka supervisor, as I learned today) and Hilda is a fellow colleague. Adrina is my fellow trainee, or as our trainee whatsapp group is called, fellow Glorious New Beanie. ^^
(Yeap we have a whatsapp group with the other 3 trainees called Glorious New Beanies, the manager of all GJC outlets, Rum, set it up haha)
Faz is.... She's cute in the kid kind of way, but she's my boss so that's how I see her. But she's very casual when she's not serious, she likes to share stories and she wants us to get to know each other better mutually. As in between boss and team member. And she likes to tease me by scaring me. >.< Today when I was clearing the screen with the orders queue and she went to key in an order for 99 cappuccinos from the register. The order wasn't processed yet so I couldn't clear it, and when the number 99 sank it you can imagine how lost I looked. Manz I've given her too many reasons to scare me, be it to train me to stay calm and organized or just for the fun of it. -.- Like that time Adrina was gonna press the blender and Faz yelled "3!" (correct program number is 2) and I just went "Arghhhhh *cover head with hands*" and Faz laughed. And the other time when I was doing an ice-blended drink and she shouted "CoverCoverCoverCover!" to tell me to faster grab the blender cover and blend it and all I could do was say "What cover???!!!" And that day while closing she told me to take a plastic bag but my brain processed it as paper bag so I had a hard time looking for it. -.-
Ceny is from Philippines, so it's a bit hard to understand what she says and sometimes I'm too soft or I mumble (heh...) so we got to repeat what we say. Ceny is really super efficient, cos she used to be from the Anson outlet, which is surrounded by office buildings. I cannot keep up with her at all. >.< But she's really nice! Even if she doesn't talk much. First time talking to her on a personal level today. (: Hahaha probably because I gave her a massage today cos her back hurts, so she opened up to me. Haha today she asked me if I liked pink, because it's her favourite color, especially bright pink. xD And she likes to tease Hilda haha, the two of them are so cute together. Oh Hilda is umm... Faz describes her as an adult with a kid's mind, but she can work. Yeah. Ceny keeps calling her Nai nai and Hilda keeps telling Adrina and I that Ceny keeps calling her Grandma. A bit irritating when we are rushing out drinks, but it wouldn't be the same without Hilda around. (: On Saturday I was a bit depressed going to work cos I couldn't keep up with the pace on Friday, but somehow Hilda knew or something and she told me to just try my best, that I will learn with time, just like she did. And it somehow totally lifted my spirits. :) Talk about God using the most unexpected of people, talk about answered prayers. Probably not my prayers, but someone's prayers for me. Just a feeling. (:
And Adrina! Hahahaha she's like everything I'm not, but we click pretty well. :D It all started when we found a mutual and mutually close friend in Sherms within the first 10 min of meeting each other for the first time haha. And then we are both from an IJ sec school and both from Guides. :D Cool aye. :D Hahaha today Faz and I were moving tables and chairs from the mall's storeroom, and Faz was saying that Adrina is very elegant, can't imagine her moving all the stuff. And we came back to see her sitting on a sofa while wiping another slowly. xD Hahaha I would be kneeling on the floor and all manz. Oh and Adrina and I go home together, so we get to talk after work too. (: Hahaha today Ceny told me that she thought Adrina and I were close friends, she was quite surprised when I told her that last Monday was the first time we've met. (:
Hahaha oh today Faz and I worked 9-5, Adrina and Ceny worked 2-10, so Faz and I were alone for the morning. (Last week Adrina and I were attached to Faz so we 3 worked together for the day's shift) In the morning, there was this young china lady who came and started using this long stick from a tree to point out things on the display fridge. Faz was a bit irritated so she asked her to stop, so the lady went to put her things down. When she came back, she spoke only to me cos she spoke chinese. (Faz said under her breath, Racist. xD) And when the lady paid, she just threw her money down in front of the cookies display. Think she was pissed at Faz haha. And when she went back to her seat, Faz kept staring at her with judging eyes all the way to her seat. xD And later when she was leaving, Faz happened to be clearing tables (buzzing) so that lady did exactly the same thing Faz was doing at another table, which includes stacking plates and arranging the chairs in a certain manner. xD Weird people manz. Oh oh and today Tay Ping Hui came in around 10am! Haha I was wiping the merchandise at the sitting area so Faz did cashier and did the coffee. When I went back into the store, Faz asked me, "Did you see that actor?" "What actor? 0.o" "Omg.... *nods head in the direction*" Haha #fail is me. And I thought he was just some really loud, kinda irritating dude cos he shouted from the register to his friends at the sitting area to ask them what size they want their drink. Oh oh and GJC has this thing against Starbucks as competitors, so Faz was telling Ceny and I that a few times someone asked for a Tall size (aka small) for her drink, so she gave her a large cup (which is really large). The lady got a shock, and asked why it's so big??! And Faz said, "Ma'am you asked for a tall size, so I gave you the tallest size!" Sarcastic but polite, as she puts it. She's quite a character isn't she, hahahahaha. Oh and today, just so happened that when Faz went to buy food, this long line of people came so I had to take orders non-stop and I couldn't serve any drinks out. Luckily she was coming down, so she ran down to help and had to serve almost 8 orders at one go. But at the register you've got to stay cool so I was calm while this whirlwind was going on behind me. Luckily no one paid by cards, looking back, cos I would have to figure out on my own.
I think doing sampling is interesting too, like giving out samples of our drinks. We really spammed sampling quite a bit last week. Haha there was these two teenage girls, they exclaimed super loudly while walking off, "This is f***ing better than Gongcha!!" And this tall dark guy talked to me about how GJC is like everywhere he goes, from Dubai to Pakistan, which I never knew. :O And trannys are like... Do you greet them as Ma'am or Sir...?
Oh and Faz has a baby, so like young mothers she has a thing for guest's babies, like she will play with them while we take the parents' orders. Hahaha and this once, she was playing with the baby in the sitting area and the baby was sucking his fingers one by one and when he was done with his middle finger, he took it out with the other fingers folded.....
Yeah my mum told me even before the first day at work that I'm not suitable for the job, and it kinda haunts me, cos I know that I'm still inadequate, that I can't keep up, that my cappuccinos and lattes still suck cos my milk foam is horrible and my cappuccinos aren't full white as it's meant to be. But I guess Jasmine and Hilda are right, just give it my best and God will do the rest, even if I forget Him at times, even if I can't bring myself to surrender to Him. And yeah Abby's right, I'm too serious, need to chillax a bit if I wanna be able to interact with my colleagues/team members and guests/customers. But need to stay serious too, need to remember that. Ceny said that when she was new, Rum gave her two cartons of milk to practice her foam and full white, which assured me that I could practice, so long as I don't waste too much milk. :) And Faz told us that we have to go for the Barista training soon to become certified baristas, which is super scary cos I've never though I'll have to go that far. But then again I still wanna learn and improve, I still love the people at work and I don't really have a reason to quit. Heard that Rum is a pretty hard trainer at the Plaza Sing outlet, Eunice is under her tutelage haha.
A little excited for work tomorrow, even though it's just me alone with the boss again. >.< Stay serious stay serious, professional yo. Hope sales will be good tomorrow. (:
Oh by the way, GJC Strawberries and Cream is good, no coffee in it too!
Working at the Katong outlet has really been fun and enjoyable. :) Faz is my manager, Ceny is second-in-command (aka supervisor, as I learned today) and Hilda is a fellow colleague. Adrina is my fellow trainee, or as our trainee whatsapp group is called, fellow Glorious New Beanie. ^^
(Yeap we have a whatsapp group with the other 3 trainees called Glorious New Beanies, the manager of all GJC outlets, Rum, set it up haha)
Faz is.... She's cute in the kid kind of way, but she's my boss so that's how I see her. But she's very casual when she's not serious, she likes to share stories and she wants us to get to know each other better mutually. As in between boss and team member. And she likes to tease me by scaring me. >.< Today when I was clearing the screen with the orders queue and she went to key in an order for 99 cappuccinos from the register. The order wasn't processed yet so I couldn't clear it, and when the number 99 sank it you can imagine how lost I looked. Manz I've given her too many reasons to scare me, be it to train me to stay calm and organized or just for the fun of it. -.- Like that time Adrina was gonna press the blender and Faz yelled "3!" (correct program number is 2) and I just went "Arghhhhh *cover head with hands*" and Faz laughed. And the other time when I was doing an ice-blended drink and she shouted "CoverCoverCoverCover!" to tell me to faster grab the blender cover and blend it and all I could do was say "What cover???!!!" And that day while closing she told me to take a plastic bag but my brain processed it as paper bag so I had a hard time looking for it. -.-
Ceny is from Philippines, so it's a bit hard to understand what she says and sometimes I'm too soft or I mumble (heh...) so we got to repeat what we say. Ceny is really super efficient, cos she used to be from the Anson outlet, which is surrounded by office buildings. I cannot keep up with her at all. >.< But she's really nice! Even if she doesn't talk much. First time talking to her on a personal level today. (: Hahaha probably because I gave her a massage today cos her back hurts, so she opened up to me. Haha today she asked me if I liked pink, because it's her favourite color, especially bright pink. xD And she likes to tease Hilda haha, the two of them are so cute together. Oh Hilda is umm... Faz describes her as an adult with a kid's mind, but she can work. Yeah. Ceny keeps calling her Nai nai and Hilda keeps telling Adrina and I that Ceny keeps calling her Grandma. A bit irritating when we are rushing out drinks, but it wouldn't be the same without Hilda around. (: On Saturday I was a bit depressed going to work cos I couldn't keep up with the pace on Friday, but somehow Hilda knew or something and she told me to just try my best, that I will learn with time, just like she did. And it somehow totally lifted my spirits. :) Talk about God using the most unexpected of people, talk about answered prayers. Probably not my prayers, but someone's prayers for me. Just a feeling. (:
And Adrina! Hahahaha she's like everything I'm not, but we click pretty well. :D It all started when we found a mutual and mutually close friend in Sherms within the first 10 min of meeting each other for the first time haha. And then we are both from an IJ sec school and both from Guides. :D Cool aye. :D Hahaha today Faz and I were moving tables and chairs from the mall's storeroom, and Faz was saying that Adrina is very elegant, can't imagine her moving all the stuff. And we came back to see her sitting on a sofa while wiping another slowly. xD Hahaha I would be kneeling on the floor and all manz. Oh and Adrina and I go home together, so we get to talk after work too. (: Hahaha today Ceny told me that she thought Adrina and I were close friends, she was quite surprised when I told her that last Monday was the first time we've met. (:
Hahaha oh today Faz and I worked 9-5, Adrina and Ceny worked 2-10, so Faz and I were alone for the morning. (Last week Adrina and I were attached to Faz so we 3 worked together for the day's shift) In the morning, there was this young china lady who came and started using this long stick from a tree to point out things on the display fridge. Faz was a bit irritated so she asked her to stop, so the lady went to put her things down. When she came back, she spoke only to me cos she spoke chinese. (Faz said under her breath, Racist. xD) And when the lady paid, she just threw her money down in front of the cookies display. Think she was pissed at Faz haha. And when she went back to her seat, Faz kept staring at her with judging eyes all the way to her seat. xD And later when she was leaving, Faz happened to be clearing tables (buzzing) so that lady did exactly the same thing Faz was doing at another table, which includes stacking plates and arranging the chairs in a certain manner. xD Weird people manz. Oh oh and today Tay Ping Hui came in around 10am! Haha I was wiping the merchandise at the sitting area so Faz did cashier and did the coffee. When I went back into the store, Faz asked me, "Did you see that actor?" "What actor? 0.o" "Omg.... *nods head in the direction*" Haha #fail is me. And I thought he was just some really loud, kinda irritating dude cos he shouted from the register to his friends at the sitting area to ask them what size they want their drink. Oh oh and GJC has this thing against Starbucks as competitors, so Faz was telling Ceny and I that a few times someone asked for a Tall size (aka small) for her drink, so she gave her a large cup (which is really large). The lady got a shock, and asked why it's so big??! And Faz said, "Ma'am you asked for a tall size, so I gave you the tallest size!" Sarcastic but polite, as she puts it. She's quite a character isn't she, hahahahaha. Oh and today, just so happened that when Faz went to buy food, this long line of people came so I had to take orders non-stop and I couldn't serve any drinks out. Luckily she was coming down, so she ran down to help and had to serve almost 8 orders at one go. But at the register you've got to stay cool so I was calm while this whirlwind was going on behind me. Luckily no one paid by cards, looking back, cos I would have to figure out on my own.
I think doing sampling is interesting too, like giving out samples of our drinks. We really spammed sampling quite a bit last week. Haha there was these two teenage girls, they exclaimed super loudly while walking off, "This is f***ing better than Gongcha!!" And this tall dark guy talked to me about how GJC is like everywhere he goes, from Dubai to Pakistan, which I never knew. :O And trannys are like... Do you greet them as Ma'am or Sir...?
Oh and Faz has a baby, so like young mothers she has a thing for guest's babies, like she will play with them while we take the parents' orders. Hahaha and this once, she was playing with the baby in the sitting area and the baby was sucking his fingers one by one and when he was done with his middle finger, he took it out with the other fingers folded.....
Yeah my mum told me even before the first day at work that I'm not suitable for the job, and it kinda haunts me, cos I know that I'm still inadequate, that I can't keep up, that my cappuccinos and lattes still suck cos my milk foam is horrible and my cappuccinos aren't full white as it's meant to be. But I guess Jasmine and Hilda are right, just give it my best and God will do the rest, even if I forget Him at times, even if I can't bring myself to surrender to Him. And yeah Abby's right, I'm too serious, need to chillax a bit if I wanna be able to interact with my colleagues/team members and guests/customers. But need to stay serious too, need to remember that. Ceny said that when she was new, Rum gave her two cartons of milk to practice her foam and full white, which assured me that I could practice, so long as I don't waste too much milk. :) And Faz told us that we have to go for the Barista training soon to become certified baristas, which is super scary cos I've never though I'll have to go that far. But then again I still wanna learn and improve, I still love the people at work and I don't really have a reason to quit. Heard that Rum is a pretty hard trainer at the Plaza Sing outlet, Eunice is under her tutelage haha.
A little excited for work tomorrow, even though it's just me alone with the boss again. >.< Stay serious stay serious, professional yo. Hope sales will be good tomorrow. (:
Oh by the way, GJC Strawberries and Cream is good, no coffee in it too!