12th Week in GJC
12th Week.
It was a.... crazy week at work.
Crazy as in eventful, not busy-until-can-die crazy.
Monday! I did opening with Winter and she did full shift to teach Nurul how to be SIC. Lunch crowd was pretty crazy, because we were all at the wrong stations. The two newest people at the bar makes for slow coffee. The pile of dishes by the sink just kept growing and growing... Only got time to do buzzing, but not washing. Ended up, I did full shift too haha. I stayed back at first because Steph left at 2 and Winter was busy and there was the afternoon crowd to handle. Then I decided to help do some pre-closing so that Winter wouldn't have so much to do. And then the three of us started talking about this cult that has been banned in China called FaLunGong. And after that Winter taught us how to taste test coffee, like how to cup it and smell the aroma, how to sip/slurp it, comparing the acidity (sour taste) of two different brews (expresso, which isn't sour and french breakfast blend, which is slightly sour) and comparing how roasted the beans are by its color. So interesting right. :D After all that, Nurul and Winter started pre-closing like a full hour late so I just stayed back all the way to do the washing, while Winter taught Nurul how to close bar and cashier.
Tuesday! Opening shift again with Winter! Only thing is when I got there.... Part of the false ceiling had collapsed and more than half the lobby area was covered in a pool of water. Not a thin layer of water on the floor, but a pretty thick layer. There were bits of plaster and boards on the floor and furniture and there was dust everywhere. First thing I did was grab the mop. But it was a pretty futile thing to do, because after half an hour of mopping the same area, the bucket was full but that area was still wet. Joke. Winter came around 5 min after I reached so she made calls to her direct boss, who was still sleeping. Mind you, it was 0630 in the morning, still dark outside. After the building's supervisors came and took lots of photos (it was a maintenance problem, so it was their area), they told us to stop clearing up so that their manager could see the full measure of the damage. While waiting for their manager and contractors to arrive, we checked all the machinery inside the store, only to find that the circuit for the oven's socket had shorted. After an hour of watching the building's management take more photos, we were allowed to clear up. The cleaner uncle brought out this vacuum cleaner that sucks up water! :O So Winter and I moved all the furniture to the side. So yeah anyways turns out the contractors didn't reinforce this big black board under the aircon and the water in the aircon wasn't being passed out through the pipes properly, so it collected on the board, which collapsed under the weight of the water. And the board fell on the false ceiling, which has a weak bracket, so part of it broke and collapsed. Then Vivian and Siew Choo came, and we (I mean the three adults) did damage control on our part, closing the store and contacting the insurance company for the loss in sales. We (I mean they, I was shy) had BK breakfast, Vivian's treat, and I made a Hot Choc. Then I was sent to the bank, where the security uncle asked me, "Where are you from? China where?" I laughed out loud. And that's just the start. Oh Val came to visit me at 1130! Only, the store is closed so we went International Plaza to eat, where there's this Christian Auntie who's really nice. :') Vivian left around 12, Siew Choo left around 1430. Nurul got an off day and Steph helped at Katong. So it was just Winter and I. We watched the contractors investigate and tear down the false ceiling. Watched and watched. And we talked and talked about each other, about her going home, about her life, about how I grew up, about work. And she told me a lot of sayings they have in China. Haha. And then and then. The cleaner uncle came back to check if there was still cleaning up to be done. And he asked me, "Which part of China are you from?" Second time. Third time, it was the contractor. Fourth time, it was the small auntie who was hired to clean our toilet. Each time, Winter and I exchanged glances and burst into laughter. Apparently I look like my manager and I converse with her in Chinese so they all think that I'm from China too. Hahahaha. At the end of the day, they not only fixed the working aircon with the fallen board, they fixed the aircon that had been broken for years. And they boarded up the gap where the false ceiling should be. And Winter and I took the chance to re-arrange the furniture. Pretty cool day with Winter. :)
Wednesday! Steph was on MC with a fever, so there was only Winter, Nurul and I to battle the lunch crowd. CRAZY. Running in and out to serve pasta, then cakes take time to unwrap and serve, plus do cashier. Can't remember how and who did buzzing. It just happened all together. Crazy. I stayed until 7.30, before going for prayer meeting. :)
Thursday. Winter and I were just.... So tired. I think this is the day I reached at 6.21 after buying brekkie from 7-11 so I started opening, then Winter came at 6.30 with her brekkie, so we sat down at the sofas to eat first before getting down to things. Haha told her that my mom finally opened up and complained that the company was ill-treating me cos I reach home so late and leave so early. xD During morning crowd, our brains were both wonky, I was disorganized while she lost track of the orders at one time. Hahahaha. Lunch was okay because Syaza was around, she did closing. Hahaha there was this moment when a fly started buzzing around Winter, and she said the fly had lots of guts appearing in front of her, because she can kill flies. xD Then around 4pm, when she was chasing me to clock out and leave with her (I was changing the water that the cloths are soaked in) she came right up to me and said that if I didn't leave now, she'll kill me like she killed that fly. So I handed her a cloth, which is her weapon of choice.
Friday! Winter and I did morning shift again, and Steph, Syaza and Nurul did closing, so all was well. :) Winter had to drag me to go home again haha. She scolded me for doing everything for them, instead of delegating jobs to each of us, including myself. :P Need to learn to balance leadership and being nice.
And.... Tomorrow will be the start of my 15th Week in GJC. Really had no time to blog because it's been crazy. Crazy crazy crazy. Okay so let me continue on a new post.
It was a.... crazy week at work.
Crazy as in eventful, not busy-until-can-die crazy.
Monday! I did opening with Winter and she did full shift to teach Nurul how to be SIC. Lunch crowd was pretty crazy, because we were all at the wrong stations. The two newest people at the bar makes for slow coffee. The pile of dishes by the sink just kept growing and growing... Only got time to do buzzing, but not washing. Ended up, I did full shift too haha. I stayed back at first because Steph left at 2 and Winter was busy and there was the afternoon crowd to handle. Then I decided to help do some pre-closing so that Winter wouldn't have so much to do. And then the three of us started talking about this cult that has been banned in China called FaLunGong. And after that Winter taught us how to taste test coffee, like how to cup it and smell the aroma, how to sip/slurp it, comparing the acidity (sour taste) of two different brews (expresso, which isn't sour and french breakfast blend, which is slightly sour) and comparing how roasted the beans are by its color. So interesting right. :D After all that, Nurul and Winter started pre-closing like a full hour late so I just stayed back all the way to do the washing, while Winter taught Nurul how to close bar and cashier.
Tuesday! Opening shift again with Winter! Only thing is when I got there.... Part of the false ceiling had collapsed and more than half the lobby area was covered in a pool of water. Not a thin layer of water on the floor, but a pretty thick layer. There were bits of plaster and boards on the floor and furniture and there was dust everywhere. First thing I did was grab the mop. But it was a pretty futile thing to do, because after half an hour of mopping the same area, the bucket was full but that area was still wet. Joke. Winter came around 5 min after I reached so she made calls to her direct boss, who was still sleeping. Mind you, it was 0630 in the morning, still dark outside. After the building's supervisors came and took lots of photos (it was a maintenance problem, so it was their area), they told us to stop clearing up so that their manager could see the full measure of the damage. While waiting for their manager and contractors to arrive, we checked all the machinery inside the store, only to find that the circuit for the oven's socket had shorted. After an hour of watching the building's management take more photos, we were allowed to clear up. The cleaner uncle brought out this vacuum cleaner that sucks up water! :O So Winter and I moved all the furniture to the side. So yeah anyways turns out the contractors didn't reinforce this big black board under the aircon and the water in the aircon wasn't being passed out through the pipes properly, so it collected on the board, which collapsed under the weight of the water. And the board fell on the false ceiling, which has a weak bracket, so part of it broke and collapsed. Then Vivian and Siew Choo came, and we (I mean the three adults) did damage control on our part, closing the store and contacting the insurance company for the loss in sales. We (I mean they, I was shy) had BK breakfast, Vivian's treat, and I made a Hot Choc. Then I was sent to the bank, where the security uncle asked me, "Where are you from? China where?" I laughed out loud. And that's just the start. Oh Val came to visit me at 1130! Only, the store is closed so we went International Plaza to eat, where there's this Christian Auntie who's really nice. :') Vivian left around 12, Siew Choo left around 1430. Nurul got an off day and Steph helped at Katong. So it was just Winter and I. We watched the contractors investigate and tear down the false ceiling. Watched and watched. And we talked and talked about each other, about her going home, about her life, about how I grew up, about work. And she told me a lot of sayings they have in China. Haha. And then and then. The cleaner uncle came back to check if there was still cleaning up to be done. And he asked me, "Which part of China are you from?" Second time. Third time, it was the contractor. Fourth time, it was the small auntie who was hired to clean our toilet. Each time, Winter and I exchanged glances and burst into laughter. Apparently I look like my manager and I converse with her in Chinese so they all think that I'm from China too. Hahahaha. At the end of the day, they not only fixed the working aircon with the fallen board, they fixed the aircon that had been broken for years. And they boarded up the gap where the false ceiling should be. And Winter and I took the chance to re-arrange the furniture. Pretty cool day with Winter. :)
Wednesday! Steph was on MC with a fever, so there was only Winter, Nurul and I to battle the lunch crowd. CRAZY. Running in and out to serve pasta, then cakes take time to unwrap and serve, plus do cashier. Can't remember how and who did buzzing. It just happened all together. Crazy. I stayed until 7.30, before going for prayer meeting. :)
Thursday. Winter and I were just.... So tired. I think this is the day I reached at 6.21 after buying brekkie from 7-11 so I started opening, then Winter came at 6.30 with her brekkie, so we sat down at the sofas to eat first before getting down to things. Haha told her that my mom finally opened up and complained that the company was ill-treating me cos I reach home so late and leave so early. xD During morning crowd, our brains were both wonky, I was disorganized while she lost track of the orders at one time. Hahahaha. Lunch was okay because Syaza was around, she did closing. Hahaha there was this moment when a fly started buzzing around Winter, and she said the fly had lots of guts appearing in front of her, because she can kill flies. xD Then around 4pm, when she was chasing me to clock out and leave with her (I was changing the water that the cloths are soaked in) she came right up to me and said that if I didn't leave now, she'll kill me like she killed that fly. So I handed her a cloth, which is her weapon of choice.
Friday! Winter and I did morning shift again, and Steph, Syaza and Nurul did closing, so all was well. :) Winter had to drag me to go home again haha. She scolded me for doing everything for them, instead of delegating jobs to each of us, including myself. :P Need to learn to balance leadership and being nice.
And.... Tomorrow will be the start of my 15th Week in GJC. Really had no time to blog because it's been crazy. Crazy crazy crazy. Okay so let me continue on a new post.