Growth Chart: Learning Humility
Saturday was probably the first time I ever asked someone for forgiveness. Verbally, at least. I must admit, even though I had gone through it in my head, it was still difficult to get it out of my mouth. It's easy to say "I'm sorry" but it's more difficult to say "Will you forgive me?"
Maybe because "Will you forgive me?" puts myself at the disposal of the other person, whereas "I'm sorry" is merely an expression of personal regret and guilt.
It wasn't particularly a relief to hear "Yes, (hahaha) I forgive you dear". Maybe because she had already expressed it when I apologised on WA. But being forgiven by her didn't mean that I proceeded to cast what I had done, my trespasses against her out of my mind/memory. I still remember them and think about them at the back of my mind. But it did take away the heavy feelings of guilt.
And it got me thinking. Is that the way forgiveness works, when GOD forgave us of our trespasses against HIM on account of Christ's death on the cross? We still remember our sins acutely, but the guilt that once bound us is now gone.
We remember what was behind so that we can stride forward in humility.
We are free, by grace.