Exam Week 2

Finally over.

Studied in CLB this week with the few remaining people who still had exams: Jon Lee, Brian, Tong, Sabby, Stella, Keewee, Jonadab, Clara. It's not much of quality time, just studying together silently and going for meals together (Lunch at Deck, dinner at Technoedge). But it's really nice to have company when you're sian of studying. (: Not so much a reason to study or a motivation/drive to do well, but simply knowing that you're not alone.
Shu Anne finished on Tues, but she was there with us on Wed and Thurs - seeing her always makes me happy. Last few times I'll ever see her. Last few times I'll see the seniors. What times we've shared, whether in VCF or at Healthserve or GBG; what things we've seen together, though we have different lenses.

Rested on Friday - slept in until 9am (lol so early) and took an afternoon nap from 5-7pm (that's more like it). Chopped off my hair - a yearly affair. Read a chapter from a book on Psalms that Joy lent me - inspiring. Helped mum mop the floor and packed up my semestral stuff.
I guess Sabbaths should be more focused on God's Word. Soaked and satisfied in Him. I was not. But it was a good physical rest.
Also really thankful for Hannah Cheng, for her encouragements during exam period, prayers during the wake, and checking on me after the week was over.

Looking back on my mods this sem.
Behavioural was so bad because of its project, but my exposure to IFG really got put into practice. I admit that it was hard to cope with an exchange student who barely had background in ecology, who was late all the time, who failed to follow the train of discussion. I lost my patience quite a few times, and admittedly I was so sian, I slacked off. But somehow they still saw me as a shining example of patience and tolerance - totally the opposite from what I was (probably because I was so frustrated, I didn't bother to complain or gossip). Haha I don't know if it's good or bad, God, but I guess at least I was a good testimony in their eyes, by God's grace.

Psychology was pretty interesting to put into daily life, but boring to learn - too much biology. Also the first time I ponned a tutorial. But discussing the materials in tutorial with 3 freshies was quite fun, they were so easygoing, it made the module more engaging for me. (:

Urban Ecology was definitely HARD, worse than Philosophy. Dr. Coleman is a really good teacher, but she's too scary and I couldn't read her because she comes from a different culture. But the lectures definitely shaped my view of ecology into a multi-dimensional, cross-disciplinary subject. It brought ecology into the world I inhabit, though a lot more complicated with the anthropocentric dimension. And the project! Crazy but fun, kudos to my group mates for tolerating my incompetency with creative projects. Definitely a lesson in humility - you'll find yourself as the weakest link at some point, but it's important to keep plodding on and not despise what God has given you.

Quantitative Methods was another fun module, despite its (very) steep learning curve - first time getting below 10% for a CA. But now we're equipped to read the statistical part of scientific papers, parts we previously treated as jibberish. I attended classes with a junior I met in Special sem last AY, and it's been quite a joy helping each other understand the coding and trying to slay dragons (tutorials) together. We never managed to finish the tutorial task within the period but the satisfaction from perseverance... (: Prof is also the nicest prof ever, he has really good papers to his name but he's humble and patient, keen to help students. Also potentially providence for an FYP project. Need God's direction.

Epistemology. Over the first half of the sem, I swung between treating Philo as a game with no real implications, to utter hopelessness and angst in the search for truth, to being dejected because I saw no purpose in sight. I still feel frustrated at the philosophers who were fighting too hard against skeptics and did not keep in mind what reality looks like. More so, I still am frustrated at how we were engrossed with "whether we know or not" and not "whether we can know the truth or not". Though, I've really only had a tiny taste of Philo so I can't say much either. On the flip side, apart from Keewei, I met a whole bunch of Christians in the mod, including a Philo graduate who leads a Regen group (Huili), a strong cell leader who melds faith and Philo together (Brandon), and my own OG freshie from this AY's FOC (Yingci). Really been a joy going through the mod with them, almost like exploring reality together. Magic goes on in a Philo classroom, where we imagine evil demons and distorted perceptions and where we lose our hands. Thank you God, for this bunch of friends, who humbled me and challenged me and gave me joy all at once.

It's a new chapter in my Uni years, from henceforth. Father, may I follow You only and trust in You wholly.

-------------

A Limerick

There's a lady I meet once a year
She has watch me grow up and mature
Waving her scissors around
With a clicking sound
She's Karen, my hairdresser