Why do we work?
Guess this post is a little triggered by another disappointment that Saikhanaa bagsh and I are so near yet so far. And now a longing for friends has been stirred up and would not settle down.
But this question has also been creeping up on me. Why do we work?
I mean, VCF and church has educated me well in this area. But I've finally reached the stage where I need to work it out for myself.
Is work for the money, so that we can survive? Seems like an insufficient reason to devote a third of our time to work. A sad and pointless reason too. After all, we aren't supposed to just survive. Though I guess this is the case for a lot of lower income families.
Or just to pass time, since this is the natural stage that follows the completion of formal education? That's even worse. Though... sometimes, I do feel like I do this. Especially when I'm sorting through the archives, counting down to the time that I need to leave work to get home for dinner. A bit of me always doesn't want to go home. And so work becomes an escape from home too.
Is it because we enjoy what we do? Well, I do enjoy what I'm doing. Especially since I'm working towards Mongolia. But it seems a little selfish, though it is reasonable to say that God gives some of us gifts and passions that are meant to shine in the workplace. Again, this is probably for a small proportion of the population. Sadly.
Is it because we're meant to contribute to society? Idealistic and sounds-nice reason, though reasonable from a big picture view of society. And I do think that it contributes to why we work. Though it turns us into cogs in a machine.
Maybe we're just meant to work. We're just created to work. Which is true. Like when we catch ourselves after being absorbed in a task for more than an hour. Working, sometimes, just feels right. And this is biblical too.
But the reason is probably a combination of all these, with varying proportions of each reason between people.
I guess... work is just a bit lonely, since I work alone. And sometimes I don't know where this is supposed to lead me. A bit empty. Missing those days when I worked to support my exco mates in various capacities, and how we were all driving towards a vision together.
#adulting
But this question has also been creeping up on me. Why do we work?
I mean, VCF and church has educated me well in this area. But I've finally reached the stage where I need to work it out for myself.
Is work for the money, so that we can survive? Seems like an insufficient reason to devote a third of our time to work. A sad and pointless reason too. After all, we aren't supposed to just survive. Though I guess this is the case for a lot of lower income families.
Or just to pass time, since this is the natural stage that follows the completion of formal education? That's even worse. Though... sometimes, I do feel like I do this. Especially when I'm sorting through the archives, counting down to the time that I need to leave work to get home for dinner. A bit of me always doesn't want to go home. And so work becomes an escape from home too.
Is it because we enjoy what we do? Well, I do enjoy what I'm doing. Especially since I'm working towards Mongolia. But it seems a little selfish, though it is reasonable to say that God gives some of us gifts and passions that are meant to shine in the workplace. Again, this is probably for a small proportion of the population. Sadly.
Is it because we're meant to contribute to society? Idealistic and sounds-nice reason, though reasonable from a big picture view of society. And I do think that it contributes to why we work. Though it turns us into cogs in a machine.
Maybe we're just meant to work. We're just created to work. Which is true. Like when we catch ourselves after being absorbed in a task for more than an hour. Working, sometimes, just feels right. And this is biblical too.
But the reason is probably a combination of all these, with varying proportions of each reason between people.
I guess... work is just a bit lonely, since I work alone. And sometimes I don't know where this is supposed to lead me. A bit empty. Missing those days when I worked to support my exco mates in various capacities, and how we were all driving towards a vision together.
#adulting
Comments